UML Rotary provides humanitarian service and funding with these areas of focus:
We are people of action doing hands-on service work within our community. Our goal is to have at least one service project per month. Below are some examples of past service projects. See our Calendar for what’s coming up next.
We’re proud to partner with financial support to many outstanding organizations and projects that serve to change lives and make a difference. Most of our giving is local to the Greater Philadephia area, but we also work globally as part of Rotary International. Here’s an overview of the charitable projects we help to fund:
~65% of funding
- COVID relief program to help struggling families buy food and essentials
- Food and clothing donations for kids and families in need
- Cost-efficient LED lighting at a volunteer medical facility, providing brighter, more reliable light and saving $1000s/month in electricity costs
- School supplies and Spanish-to-English dictionary donations
- Funding for education programs, Youth Exchange programs, and scholarships
- Support for disabled children and their loved ones
- Upgrades and maintenance for community centers, daycare facilities, homeless shelters, and shelters for abused women and children
- Mobile mammogram screenings
~35% of funding
- Polio eradication
- Life-changing cleft lip and palette/facial reconstruction surgeries
- Shelter tents and essential supplies for disaster relief
- Solar installation at a rural hospital with no access to reliable energy sources
- Hunger relief and sustainable programs to provide nutrition, especially for children
- Installing sustainable clean water and sanitation facilities
- Wheelchair repair program that employs and trains disabled persons to provide the repair services
- Libraries and books for children in impoverished areas
UML Rotary is an all-volunteer organization. Because all of our club’s operating expenses are fully-funded through dues paid by our members, 100% of our charity fundraising, including direct donations and all net proceeds from our fundraising events, goes to humanitarian services. We maintain a 501(c)(3) charitable fund with The Vanguard Group, which helps ensure proper legal and fiduciary accountability.
Nearly all of UML Rotary’s charitable funding comes from our annual fundraising events:
Rotary Charity Golf Tournament, held in springtime at Waynesborough Country Club in Paoli, PA. We host dozens of golfers for a day of activities including lunch, 18-hole golf, contests, and dinner featuring charity raffles and auctions.
Oktoberfest Main Line, held in early October at Good Samaritan Church Field in Paoli, PA. The Oktoberfest is a family-focused community event attended by hundreds of parents and kids. There is a kindergarten with free games and activities, live entertainment, and a selection of German-themed food and drink.
Chocolate + Cheer, held in the wintertime, is a virtual tasting of artisan chocolates, expertly paired with craft beer and wine. Friday night fun on Zoom, as a seasoned Chocolatier, a Brewmeister, and a Sommelier discuss the nuances of each tasting and why the flavors were paired together. It’s a sweet and savory explosion for your taste buds!